Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Yuki, Gekko & Kasha (part 2)

Ok, first off, I'd like to apologize for my lack of updating for (lets see here) 2 whole week. >.< So, in this post, I will be covering a lot of lost ground to make up for it.

I think I will start off with the recent update. Samurai now have a new job ability called Sekkanoki. This is the job ability that the BG/SE interview was talking about. I got to play with it a little shortly after finishing up the update that night and had tons of fun doing self Fusion and Fragmentation skillchains every 5 minutes. Some people are mad because Sekkanoki does not work with Hagun's TP Bonus modifier, but I don't mind so much really. I'm still playing around with the ideas of using different great katanas with Sekkanoki and seeing if the damage is more or less than Hagun. Most likely though, Hagun will still "shine" because the TP Bonus effect will kick in again after Sekkanoki and yeild a larger closing weaponskill and bigger skillchain damage.

Hmm, Versus did Kirin back on Sunday almost two weeks ago. Sadly, I don't remember what dropped, but it was a good run I think.

To prove it was a fun run, here's a screenshot of me chasing down Samuraisoldier trying to SATA him as samurai (instead of ninja).

Let's see here. I've been to Dynamis twice since my last post. Dynamis-Xarcabard back on Wednesday a week ago was the first one. It was a pretty good run, considering we had a really low number of people attending. We only had 35 people show up. The run went pretty smoothly, considering our numbers, and we got a decent number of AF2 to drop. On the following Sunday, I went to Dynamis-Valkurm. This run, unlike the Dynamis-Xarcabard run, did not go as smoothly. We decided to skip the goobbue NM that helps weaken the mega boss, and just go for the mega boss after we killed the Nightmare Flies and the Fairy Ring. We had done this before when we were short on time, but we must have been super unlucky, because the mega boss decided to use charmga as soon as we engaged it. Needless to say, we wiped and ended up with 15 minutes to farm before we got kicked out. Here's some screenshots of our farming fun.

Here I am Terrorized in front of Samuraisoldier. It almost looks like I'm trying to set myself up for a SATA. =P

Another one of me Terrorized while running towards the mob. You too can get your very own Glacian Action Posed Statue!

Ok, as some of you may be wondering, what does any of this have to do with the title and it being part 2? I'm getting to that now. Jeeze. I figured I'd catch up first before jumping straight into the main topic. Anyway! I have been watching the behaviors of many of the samurai in Obsidian, Versus, and the occasional samurai in an experience points party. The one thing that I seem to notice the most is. . . almost every samurai I see (not all, but most) uses Tachi: Gekko ALL the time. Now, I understand that Tachi: Gekko is a cool looking weaponskill. I mean, come on, how can you NOT look cool jumping in the air like that in an uppercut motion with a giant moon appearing as a result of your coolness? So I agree in that aspect to justify using Tachi: Gekko. However, I think that a lot of samurai forget, or possibly don't even know about, the additional effects that Tachi: Yukikaze, Tachi: Gekko, and Tachi: Kasha have.

If you've forgotten (or just don't know), here's the additional effects for all 3 of the weaponskills.

Now for those of you that don't know, Yukikaze blinds the mob, Gekko silences the mob, and Kasha paralyzes the mob. So when I see a samurai jumping into the air Gekko after Gekko, I can't help but ask myself, why? Does that monk mob in dynamis really need silenced that bad? Has someone not told me about the big deathga spell monk mobs in dynamis cast? Me personally, I find that Kasha or Yukikaze makes WAY more sense to use on a monk mob than Gekko. Blinding or paralyzing a monk so that their Hundred Fists is less devastating to a tank seems to help that tank survive more than silencing it. That's why I try to use my weaponskills as best fit to what mob I am fighting. If I am fighting a mage mob, I try to keep it silenced with Tachi: Gekko. If I fight a melee mob, I don't use Tachi: Gekko unless the mob has MP and can cast spells (such as DRK mobs).

Skillchains are a different story of course. If you're using Tachi: Gekko for a skillchain, that's completely fine. But with free weaponskills, or there is no planned skillchain, I see no good reason why samurai shouldn't diversify their weaponskill usage. Using Tachi: Gekko on every mob you weaponskill because you think Gekko looks cool doesn't cut it for me. In my opinion, I think Tachi: Kasha looks cooler, but you don't see me using it on EVERY mob I fight. Yes, I dominantly use Kasha when I see fit, but I still throw out the Gekko first on a mage mob.

I reached level 41 on my PUP recently too. I mostly leveled DNC , which I reached level 28, but I played around with PUP solo to further test out PUP/DNC. I have found it to be absolutely awesome. Having "provoke" with /DNC really helps save my automaton. He's already a little damage machine that pulled hate all the time. Now I can pull hate back.

My automaton is so uber, he can close skillchains AND magic burst them!

Lastly, here is an awesome quote from Izman.

No comments: